07-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #55
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
There are some good deals on CPO 2017+ S213 MB E wagons (E400 and E450). That's the path we are considering once X3 lease is up. 2020 might be the last year of E wagons (they are bringing All-terrain version instead). I like the design of S213 vs S212 and I assume they are slightly larger too.
It's a big shame that MB will only offer up 'allroad' versions of their estate cars. It seems odd that they'd tinker with the E wagon given how loyal and wealthy the new car buyers are in that segment, even with the low volume of units. Both the S212 and S213 are nice, visually I prefer the rear end of the older chassis but that's not a deal breaker. S212 seems tried and true at this point as well, which is a plus. I'll end up giving both a try along with the Macan to see what works. Tyler Hoover from Hoovies garage picked one up and I'm fairly certain he said he was able to get his S213 without air suspension, I need to read up to see if that spec was an option on the previous gen as well. That would be a nice headache to avoid 5-10 years down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk_05 View Post
I commend the OP for sticking with a car even with 3 kids.

You can definitely fit 3 seats across in quite a few cars with the right seats. I feel like everyone thinks giant thick car seat = safety. I'm a huge fan of the Diono car seats because of their slim profile. They are still highly rated well built seat. They are solid steel and weigh as much as a house. I think they are way better than the giant ones you see from some of the other major brands.

There seems to be 75% of the responses are automatically "3rd row SUV." Plenty of families had 3 or even 4 kids in the past before 3rd row SUVs were everywhere. It can be done.

Now granted, no one said it will be fun getting a kid in and out of the middle seat. Just set some funds aside for a chiropractor.
Completely agreed! The responses here don't really surprise me since they proportionately reflect what's out on the roads today. Bigger does not always mean safer both in the context of a vehicle and car seat. Engineering is key.

In terms of ingress and egress, my oldest self buckles and our 2 year old is making progress in that area so hopefully we don't end up at the chiropractor!
Appreciate 0