View Single Post
      08-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
Thanks, Nine. What I meant when I said "raw" is that the GT-R doesn't make any effort to cover up sounds from the road, transmission, engine, and all the good stuff that make driving FUN! When I was researching the car, I read a bunch of internet BS, including comments from stupid journalists, who say that the GT-R has no soul, is too "clinical" in the way it goes about its business. There is nothing clinical or soul-less about any automobile that can complete the Nurburgring in under 7 and a half minutes. I wasn't trying to defend the GT-R, what irritated me is the fact that the OP wrote a couple of great comparisons between cars that we all like to drive or to own, then passes off a "rumor" about the GT-R being "clinical", all without actually ownership experience. That took away all his credibility in my book.

While I am at it, might as well mention that, like many BMW enthusiasts I am getting more and more pessimistic about the future of BMW M. M used to stand for something very visceral and epitomizes the feeling of enthusiasts who want to derive significant amount of joy from driving. Now "they" are putting in tons of sound insulation, and replacing it with recorded engine/exhaust sounds, and telling M loyalists that turbo is the way to go because it is better for gas mileage and the environment. The plain truth is that BMW has succumbed to the market of fake enthusiasts who could care less about the racing heritage of the M cars and put luxury, power, and comfort above all else. NA engines could never keep up with today (and tomorrow's) monsters without forced induction. People who developed the GT-R make no apologies for taking advantage of the best technology they have available to build the fastest car they can possibly build. At least they stayed true to their philosophy instead of trying to pretend to be old-school engineers. E9X M3 is the last great M car we will have from BMW. Enjoy it because there will be no more.
I have had about 4 hours behind the wheel of a GTR. In fact I drove it 3 times before choosing my M3 over it. Not questioning its performance capabilities at all, but some people are not just looking for the fastest car around a track.

I don't share this "clinical" or "sterile" view. I was merely pointing out what others have said. I don't feel this way about the Nissan, or the Porsche.

The are things that kept me from getting a GTR were:

1. Looks are so-so to my eyes. By comparison, I LOVE the looks of the M3.
2. Ride is too harsh for my needs.
3. Interior design looks very piecemeal and not cleanly thought out
4. Interior materials are cheap. Too bad you can't get the Egoist Edition in the U.S.
5. The noises are most unpleasant, from the clunking of the transmission to the excessive whirring from the turbos.

That said, if I had the million dollar bet that you speak of, then yes, I would certainly take a GTR over my M3 or any 911 except the turbo S.