Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Thanks! I have tried that, but I brake like a grandma on the street and as a result cannot reach gas pedal to blip throttle. I'm a little rusty, because it has been over a month since my last HPDE.
The trick is to be able to accurately modulate both pedals. Sometimes you will want to down shift when you start to trail brake or when threshold braking is not required. An example is the carousel CW at MSRH. I enter too fast for 3rd gear. I'm braking really late and trailing the brakes very deep into the corner. My exit speeds aren't high enough for a good pull in 4th. I heel toe while trail braking using the side of my foot to reach the gas. You'll find that if you only threshold brake when you heel toe, you'll frequently overslow the car or cause corner entry understeer. The whole point of heel toe is to better balance the car. I think relying on depressing the brake pedal fully can defeat the purpose. At times, you're just better off not doing the throttle blip vs threshold braking. The key is balancing the car...a balanced car has more overall grip.

I wouldn't practice in heavy traffic. I would practice sat or sun morning in my neighborhood when there is no traffic. The key is to develop the footwork AND muscle memory involved with heel toe. IMO, this is a gimme. You can get heel toe down off track so you're working on something else when you are on track.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0