View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #36
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This thread's lengthy defenses of vaping and the poor quality of research into hazards does read like s/t from the flat-earth society. No need to reinvent the wheel here, Davis- nicotine (in isolation, not just in tobacco smoke) is a terribly addictive drug, and one that causes tremendous negative health effects. This is not a subject for much debate outside the boardrooms of Phillip Morris. A new way to ingest nicotine that is much more palatable to the general population would be a good candidate for a potential health problem; especially if it targets adolescents (adolescent susceptibility to addiction is also a well-established phenomenon - just ask any tobacco advertiser). Much of the problem is that humans tend to minimize the effects of addiction in favor of a belief in free will, so they rationalize and defend their addictive behaviors with pseudo-logic and polemic.

Unfortunately, we also know, from decades (centuries?) of research, that a bunch of older adults telling youngsters what to do or not do tends to have a paradoxical effect on many of them, and they do it more. Fortunately, there are many newer ways to message this that really are effective; you can identify them fairly easily as the ones that lobbyists work hard to suppress (like that teen-inspired campaign in Florida that was so effective they gutted it's budget). I'm eagerly awaiting the change from delicious looking fruity packages, to the ones with the cancer mouth and the trach-stoma. That does tend to take some of the 'cool' out of it (I'd also mention the erectile dysfunction, but from what I've seen, very few vapers would know what to do w/ an erection).
Appreciate 1