04-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #45
earlyapex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Just FYI Lucid and I worked on regression analysis extensively and posted our results here. Large data sets, small data sets, outlier analysis, probabilities, effect of Cd and skidpad results, all sorts of analysis. Of course the basic conclusion about the GT-R is the same as yours.
I've seen it. Good stuff. I looked at several different variables too, but p/w is by far the most significant (by far by far). This makes sense intuitively - power and weight are by far the biggest factors in performance (next is tires, and everything else really doesn't matter that much).

Footie, I'm not trying to argue but you do contradict yourself a bit. On one hand, you say having a great driver makes a huge difference (of course!) then you go on to claim the GTR is really capable. So which is it?

I think the point of all the math is to isolate and remove some of the brand "magic" people tend to invent. Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs - they all follow the laws of physics. The laws of physics are pretty simple and have been fairly rigorously tested since newton - you can't circumvent them.

The GTR, in stock form, simply isn't going to break the laws of physics by over 3 sigmas (if you understand math, you understand how laughable the claim). so it's cheating with weight, power or tires (or all three).

It isn't the driver, these companies all have incredible drivers. I doubt an F1 driver or anyone else is going to be much faster, in any car, than walter.

But if it is the driver (somehow), then it isn't the car. if it isn't the car, the whole discussion is moot.
Appreciate 0