View Single Post
      02-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
TBH, I wouldn't look at any of those cars with that budget. You're just not going to get a very clean example, and will end up in a tight spot come maintenance time.

Common saying on the E46M boards over the last 5 years ... the car will cost you $30K no matter what. You either pay for it up front, or in maintenance in short order.

I would get something like GTI and save up for a few more years. Soon you'll find clean sorted out cars for low $20Ks. Right now I think they're just over that, though.

It's not worth the financial headache if you're really on a budget. The cars will always be around and they made enough E92s to always find clean, low mile examples in a spec you like. No need to rush it.
I have no idea about the E60 M5, but I do strongly believe that the E9x M3 is nearing the bottom of its depreciation curve. The S65 engine and either transmission (DCT is amazing tech and 6MT will hold its value for the purists - I've owned both) is the gold standard for the M3. Now might not be a bad time to get into a low 20s example in decent condition. Even if it has higher miles, you can plan on doing rod bearings and TAs down the road if you can resist modding it for a year or so (or buy a lightly modded car to begin with), and you may not lose any money when you decide to move on.

I do agree with what others have said, if you really only have 21k, this probably isn't the car for you. But I don't agree that you'll find clean sorted out cars in the low 20s 5 years from now. This is just an opinion though, of course