View Single Post
      09-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #401
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

This is not "arguing" my position. I am not trying to be right here. I am just sharing my opinion and explain my rational.

One person "fiddling" is another person "fine tuning".

I enjoy fine tuning, others don't like to fiddle.

I enjoy options to fine tune (4-way) others wants to be told what to do (1-way or 2-way set it and forget it)

In my profession, I make a living and appreciated for fine tuning. It carried over to my hobbies.

What does it all mean? If I over heat the inside of the tire, I can chose to go slower, not a bad choice, or I can chose to change the alignment and check the data. If I got it wrong, I put it back to -3.5.

All through the process, I my knowledge doesn't stay the same. I get enriched by the experiences and not only I understand more on my own, I understand better what others are telling me. The combination is making me a better driver. My learning process perhaps is slower because it takes time to understand how 4-way shocks work and what each click means, but at the end I understand better what each function does.

For example, The JRZ 4-Way is a bit different. It has 1 rebound and 3 damping settings.

The three damping are HS and LS on the canister and the third one is on the shaft and it controls the little imperfections in the road during the turn. So the HS controls the obvious bumps, the LS controls how quickly the HS works and the shaft control the imperfections of the road.

It took me many track days to understand and feel the effect of those adjustments. But now I do. And I can actually change the settings at the track based on how I feel the conditions are.

I know not only what each control does, but I can feel 1 click differences. This will not make me faster this year, when I am regularly change tires. However, IMO, it will make me faster next year when I limit my tires selection and suspension components.

So, what I do this year make me faster this year, obsoletely not. But will it make me faster, more in control of available traction, better manage the tires? I believe that yes, it will make me faster and more importantly it will reduce my risk at higher speeds.

This is the theory anyway. Only time will tell if I am right.
Appreciate 0