PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I've been using it for a while now... about 30% of the time, I get in the car and it just works. The rest of the time, I have to open up Settings / Bluetooth and connect to the carplay unit via my iPhone then swipe down and switch the iPhone audio output from carplay over to the BMW factory bluetooth. It will be nice when they work that out, but at this point it only takes a few seconds to workaround and I've become used to it.

Now the lack of audio switching with siri and reading back text messages etc is another issue. For now I just forget about even using those features.

I really just use Spotify and full-screen Waze, which are awesome.

The only other mild annoyance I've come across is that when you open the car door, it "wakes up" the carplay unit and tries to connect to your phone. I have a whole-home audio system (in ceiling speakers in most every room), and typically have music playing all day long (I work from home), so if I go out to the garage to grab something out of the car, often times it will connect my phone to the carplay unit which stops my whole-home audio stream "The music has stopped because this Spotify account is being used on another device". First world problem I know, and I guess I could use a second Spotify account but for now its nothing more than a mild annoyance. On the flip side, the fact that it wakes up when you open the car door can be a nice feature as carplay is up and running on the screen by the time I start the engine.
Thanks for the details. I mainly use the unit for full screen Waze and spotify myself, though would be nice to do text readout over audio on occasion as I like that feature.

I am actually able to use the bluetooth audio connectivity on the v1 unit as well, though as you point out, it doesn't do Siri or Waze alerts, text read out, etc. over bluetooth so it sounds like v3 is not an improvement there.

All in all, not sure that, given what you say, the upgrade would ultimately be worth it, though better bass response would certainly be nice. Maybe I just need v2 or wait until they do a fully wired integration with factory mic.