View Single Post
      01-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
VrooM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Throttle Actuator rebuilding services

Hi guys, i had my throttle actuators go bad for the second time since i've owned the car. First time was around 90k km and i had them rebuilt by BBA reman and they went bad within a year or approximately 10k km, and i was too lazy to tear things out again so i just drove on them but BBA did offer free repair on them based on their 2 year non transferable warranty.

Long story short i recently had them act up quite a lot so i ordered the gear set and mosfets from Jason at http://www.rebuild.org.uk/ and proceeded to rebuild both actuators and replace the mosfets. The gears were of high quality, made of carbon fiber reinforced grey plastic, similar to high performance RC car chassis and uprights etc and the tolerances were very good. One worked fine but the second one seemed to have circuitry damage (processors, voltage controllers etc, who knows) and after discussing it with Jason he mentioned how this is quite often the case and that he offers the gears/mosfets just to stay competitive with those who sell bare gear sets. His rebuild service includes replacement of critical surface mount components with apparently upgraded components where possible. He includes a transferable lifetime warranty but you are responsible for shipping.

I sent in the actuators and with his core exchange service he shipped a rebuilt set within 4 days from UK (i am in Canada). I installed them and everything was fine, and currently put about 2k km on the car and they still function perfectly. I thought i'd share my experience with you guys as buying new ones is such a damn ripoff and only gear replacement is insufficient in many cases based on the experience i had and Jason's expert advice. I am writing this to save you guys the same bs i went through and to let you know that his service was excellent. The price, after the rebate he will give me when my old actuators and purchased gearset are received by him (ground shipped cuz of high cost) was circa 1000 CAD, less than half the price of buying new actuators at a discount.

I didn't get a dime or discount to write this, but am very satisfied with the service and wanted to share it with the community. I searched up the forums to see if http://www.rebuild.org.uk/ or Jason were mentioned anywhere but didn't find anything so i thought i'd write this up, he is a good dude doing good work so i think he deserves a mention on the boards, cheers .

p.s. if there are any issues in the future i will post here, so far so good

Last edited by VrooM3; 01-16-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0