Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkordy View Post
Looks Great
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I'd be curious to see this actually, with or without the red ring, red LED could be interesting.
One great thing that I love, is how I can see it lit up from outside of the car. If you know the behavior of the start button, its always lit up when the car is not in "sleep mode". That amber was not as noticeable and is quite boring IMO. Blue is my favorite color so it only makes it more gratifying.

I'm not sure if I was the first to do this but, I could not find any instructions/DIY so I'll post up how I did it. Sorry I don't have more pictures!

First, I did not use the same "foot-print" of LED. The factory LED is a right angle so the light is directed forward out the front of the button. I replaced ALL of the LEDs throughout the car so this is what I had on hand. No big deal though.. I put some solder on the pads of the PCB, held the LED in place (on its side), and ran the soldering iron in a sweeping motion so it flowed onto the LED. Then did the other side of the LED. BTW, I used tweezers to hold the LED (a must when working with this small of an object.

The LED part number is: VLMB41P1Q2-GS08 Thats the blue color. Just search on DigiKey or Mouser for the part in the color you choose. I believe the foot print I used is called PLCC2. Of course, getting the LED with the right-angle is the correct way to go but, it doesn't matter.

Also, the blue LED requires slightly more voltage. To get this, I removed the small pull down resistor (There are two resitors next to each other.. its the smaller one). I would try it without removing it first. If it works, leave it. If not, remove it. (note: it is still installed in the picture)

Last edited by jdamore; 05-19-2015 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0