08-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
That was a very good read! Definitely helped me save 3000 $ . But the question still stands , if I wish to get a 3.45 diff from Dinan . Is there no way that they can build a new one ? Is there another way to get the same FDR 's from a different manufacturer ? I checked diffsonline and could not find it there .
You will simply have to make the sacrifice of staying up late and calling diffsonline or Dinan when they are open. Diffsonline may not have the 3.45:1 ring and pinion option listed, but I'm sure they can get it as well.

I would advise you to call first (to explain exactly what you want), and then follow up with them via e-mail. They need to know how you want to coordinate things since you live in India.

I can get you an e-mail address for a Dinan rep, that's not a problem. Diffsonline's e-mail address is on their website.

To answer your basic question:

YES, you can buy a new performance differential with the ratio you want without removing your differential first.

Now, you should know that taking this path will cost you a lot more money initially, because there is a CORE CHARGE associated with this kind of mechanical upgrade.

So if you don't send then your stock 3.15:1 diff first, they will charge you the core charge upfront. (at the time of purchase)

Now once you receive the new 3.45:1 modified diff (and install it in your car), you can then ship the OE 3.15:1 unit back to diffsonline or Dinan for a core charge credit reimbursement to recoup the upfront core charge fee you had to pay.