View Single Post
      03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #69
SoCal_PDX 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Well, let's look at 2007 Police officer deaths across the country and you tell me:
In 2007, 186 police officers across the country were killed in the line of duty. Of that total:
15 were struck outside of their vehicle (likely from having someone pulled over)
12 were killed during a traffic/stop or pursuit with a firearm.

So, out of 186 deaths in 2007, 27 were killed almost positively from conducting a "routine traffic stop." That is 14.5% of the total.

Now, 27 doesn't sound like a high number, nor does 187 given how many police officers there are. But did 187 people in YOUR field die last year by doing their job? Did 27 of them die on the job doing a particular function? I doubt it. So, to say something INCREDIBLY FUCKING STUPID like "how is he putting his life on the line?" is total bullshit.

Now, are there jobs that are more "deadly" or dangerous? Of course, but to think that a cop isn't risking death every day he or she puts on the uniform is ignorant. No, it's not ignorant, it's just plain stupid. What do cops deal with most often in society? The worst part!!! Domestic violence calls, accidents where people have been killed in the most grisly of manners, and probably the worst case, children that have died.

And to all the jackasses that say "most cops are shit", really? You've met "most cops" in your lifetime? My guess is that you've dealt with 5 to 7 police officers in your life. There are over 900,000 law enforcement officers in the US. So even if you happen to interact with 100 of the "worst cops ever", you are still in no position to say that "MOST cops are shit." Get real.

I'm not a cop, but I have many friends who are, and I'm acquainted with even more than that. I'd put the number close to 100 law enforcement officres that I either know personally or at least more than casually. Of those, I'd say only 2 are "dicks."

Oh, and if you keep getting pulled over and the cops "keep hassling me for no fucking reason", take a lesson from Chris Rock, maybe it will help:

How not get your ass kicked by the police.

ETA: Stats on police officer deaths were compiled from: http://www.nleomf.com/TheMemorial/Fa..._EndofYear.pdf
Karma is a bitch!!!