Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
99% sure that it's over 95dB. I got a red ticket with my ACM mod and swapped to full stock for the appointment just to be safe. The limit is 95dB +\- 1.5. So 96.5dB.

The measurement is done from one meter back and one meter to the left or right away from the car at 75% of max rpm, so around 5500rpm.
I tested it on my car with a dB meter and the ACM bypass mid and it was 100dB+.

Swap to stock to be safe, otherwise you'll be in for a huge hassle. Also, you can get the ticket dismissed if you fight it and show the judge that you passed the ref inspection and photos of the car at the time of the ticket and after.

Lastly, you CANNOT drive the car until the red inspection. If you're caught, you will get a ticket for unlawful operation of a vehicle. Absolutely stupid, but ask me how i know....

Good luck.
So your exhaust (cats and xpipe) is stock besides the ACM mod to the muffler?

Where/what city were you in when this happened?

Do you remember the circumstances that prompted the officer to cite you? (were you driving/accelerating normally, or full throttle or other?)

I am interested in doing the ACM/Bypass mod to my stock muffler but you have me thinking now. But on the other hand, living in SoCal all my life has taught me police are different depending on the city it seems and also the circumstances more so than the exhaust being too loud...
I have a different car now with an entirely different setup than the last.

I was in Orange County, no need to get more specific than that.

I was driving thru a parking lot leaving the grocery store to head home (< .5 miles away).

However, I fought the ticket in court and won because the i passed at the state ref and the officer was adamant that i was a "street racer" and my "trumpet tips" on my exhaust made the car louder, to which the judge laughed at him.

I think you will be fine with the ACM mod alone.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 1
jv92red143.00