11-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
So, having gone through a similar process like yourself...

If you are looking at an alternative to the high -> low converters, here are your options:

A) Code the stock HU to output a low level signal. I had this for a while, while its better... I still had an annoying hiss. The outputs are the same, everything (wire wise) stays the same... The HU just starts to output low level rather then high level.

B) The best option, what I am running now:

Mobridge DA2 (or DA3)... It in essence coverts the optical signal (MOST) that your vehicle has (all E9X's will have a MOST bus... but if you have bluetooth, you will have a combox / tcu, if you have that... then the cable is already in the trunk under the cover)... So it plugs in line with the MOST bus... You code your stock HU to fool it into thinking you have "TOP Hifi" system and viola... Optical (digital) output right to the trunk... The DA3 then has 2 sets of outputs, 8xRCA or 1xOptical. I really recommend this option... Its a bit pricy, but you cant beat the signal quality. Also bare in mind... This will mean you will need to "after market amp" all your speakers... No more using the CICs internal amp for anything.

BTW, this is what I'm running:

CIC -> MOST BUS -> Mobridge DA3 -> *2x RCA -> MS-8 DSP -> HD900/5 Amp -> Speakers -> My ears

* = This an be 2-8x RCA or Optical, I bought my DSP well before the Mobridge... Had I bought it after, I would have gotten one that supported optical in...

Anyways long story short... With the Mobridge DA2 or DA3, a good DSP and a solid amp... You will be able to put together a system that blows the best BMW had to offer out of the water
Great post.
Can you do a DIY with links for products and info on how that's coded so it's easier to find in the future?
Like what MOST is and what the DA2/DA3 do? Kind of a newb to BMW stereos.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1