Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
And yes, all the previous M3's are sports car. In your book, can a sports car have "numb" steering? In my book, that is a deal killer. Just too many cars out there with better steering to go ahead spend 70 k for "feeless" steering. I am confident BMW will fix the steering issue but how quickly will depend on how many enthusiast like myself are willing to speak out with our pocket books or lack there of.
The steering issue may not be an issue at all. Both Dave Farnsworth and Steve Dinan wrote reviews in Roundel, and neither mentioned numbness at all. Both reviews were glowing. Farnsworth owned the first E36 M3 in the US, reviewed the E46 M3 during its launch event and has tested the Dinan S3 M3 so he sorta knows how they feel. Dinan doesn't need introduction. He loved the car, saying "The new M3 is simply the best combination of BMW handling and ride to date."

Bimmer sent two drivers as well with one reporting "Even more important than the balance is the amount of information coming through the steering wheel and the rather firm seat, letting me know exactly what's happening where the rubber meets the road. The steering, in particular is a revelation in feelsomeness."

When reading reviews of the E92 M3 you cannot assume all the test cars were the same - they're not. The reviewers rarely mention what EDC, engine map, and Servotronic settings they used. In fact, I would venture to guess that most didn't know what the Servotronic setting was when they were driving. Even those that complained about numbness made no mention of whether the Normal vs. Sport settings had any effect. I also suspect that the suppleness of the suspension is a factor in some of the reviews. If the suspension absorbs harshness without drama, why should the steering wheel report drama?

Even if there is numbness (and I doubt it) the reviews to date have consistently noted there is no hint of understeer except when the pushed to the limit. I'll trade off some numbness for neutrality myself.

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0