09-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #52
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Aye,

Thats why I might wait for the DFI version in MY2010. The Cayman is a remarkable car, perfect ergonomics, balance and looks. It just lacks a tad too much torque.

I don't like the way it's geared in 6th, because i plan on using it (or the M3) as a Grand Touring car. Weekend trips to tracks and venues for "meet & greets". As it stand now the Cayman S cruises at 80mph @ 3,500rpm's. That might get annoying after 3+ hours of driving. Specially when PAG refuses to but decent audio systems in their sportcars.

Porsche has purposely kept the Cayman down because they don't want it encrouching into their 911s territory. The 911 is Iconic and they don't want it's baby brother stepping on it's toes.... even though it can out handle it.

My guess is that when they move to DFI technology, they will put more efficiency(mpg) into the Caymans engine instead of performance. Leaving the 911 with the real gains in performance. Though, i've considered buying a Cayman in a few months and just (over the years) upgrade/mod it for more performance!

Though, I'd just assume wait for the DFi engine where I think PAG will add about 25 more HP and Torque! (ie: 320hp/276ft-lb tq). And hoping they will refine the stereo and offer more standard features!

-Garrett
IMO, the Porsche Design Edition is a joke. It's basically all fluff at handsome Porsche price. The only good news about it is it usually means Porsche is getting ready for a facelift. The Design Edition is a way to try and fluff up lagging sales near the end of a model run. IMO, the Cayman will maybe get a 20 or so hp bump and improved mileage with DFI. Though Porsche is the king of highway robbery, they usually don't bump up prices drastically with facelifts.
Appreciate 0