06-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm an occasional autocrosser and "mature" daily driver. IMO, you don't need illegal speed to enjoy twisty roads, which seem abundant in this beautiful state.

Strict Virginia traffic law may help explain the relative lack of rude, mindless, and/or insanely aggressive drivers you see in Florida. People here actually use their turn signals! The main thing that bugs me is I'll need a license plate on my front bumper. It's ugly, but I suppose it's some protecton in tight downtown parking.

My radar detector is retired to the trunk, for use out of state. Is it true that you're OK if the thing is not kept in your passenger compartment?
Definitely look into getting a tow hook mount. IMO it looks way better aesthetically and 100% less drilling required.

As for the radar detector, the law is that it has be completely out of reach- so yes your trunk would be an acceptable place. That being said, I've had a radar detector chilling in my glove compartment for several years now and never had an issue. Using a radar detector in VA also only comes with a fine, so no moving violation or points (think fix-it ticket). They will record the serial number and give it back to you, so running with one may be worthwhile if you're willing to consider the risk/reward.

Top end radar detectors won't be detectable to RDDs so if you can mount it in a inconspicuous place, it seems like a no brainer to me. I would do the same if NoVA/DC wasn't always a parking lot.