View Single Post
      11-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Jesus, talk about a project. I too am a fan of the amber but can respect the amount of work that went into this. You need skillz AND ballz to start messing with the boards. I'm a beginner to intermediate level solderer, but I wouldn't touch this
If you have experience soldering any SMPs (surface mount parts) you could do this. You need a steady hand and a fine point iron.

The proccess for replacing SMPs is something like this for me:
Prep
Inspect the original LEDs first and find which side has the notch out of the corner. Use a marker and put a Good size dot. TAKE A PICTURE (incase the marker gets smudged off). If you are unsure which side is the "notched" side, use the meter.
Removing the LED from the PCB
The side of the LED on the ground-plain usually needs more time to heat up (your heating the metal in the PCB too). It also holds the solder melted longer (keep that in mind). Start there. Put a small bit of solder on the tip of your iron and put it to the part. You'll see the solder get shiny when it is melted then continue to hold it there for a few seconds. Quickly move the iron to the other side of the LED and melt that side. Use a little bit more solder if you have too.. the melted solder will help transfer some of the heat from the iron. Move the iron back and forth QUICKLY from side to side and it will slide right off the pads. Another way would be to use a hot air blower (my butane iron has an attachment), and circle around the LED while SLIGHTLY lifting with tweezers. NEVER PULL OR PUSH ON THE PART WITH ANY FORCE. You are melting the solder so it becomes unattached. When using hot air, use have to be careful it doesn't burn other parts or blow them right off the PCB. Remove one color at a time so it doesn't get confusing.
Installing LED
Clean the pad off with solder wick if needed. Apply a little flux paste (careful not to get it on your mark). Place the LEDs and Solder ONE side and move to the next LED. Soldering one side at a time gives it time to cool between. Don't heat soak the LEDs. If you're not getting it in place within a few seconds, give it a chance to cool and come back. Once you do all of them, do the other side.
Testing
Use the meter on the diode setting and make it illuminate by touching points on the boards (follow the traces). Some of the boards have little round test points that you can use.
Clean
Use rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips to clean up the PCBs. Clean the conductors for the buttons really well!

Thats about the "Long of the short". And don't call me Jesus