06-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #42
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
See, the issue here is that it's not just your secondary cats. If you want to go back to stock (and if you sell the car, I really hope you are going to do so) you are going to have to buy a new cat section. They're something insane like $5500 from BMW for just the primary + secondary cats. I think your are going to end up saving very little and spending a LOT in the long run... or screwing over whomever buys your car.
You could also just weld in the stock cats again for $50, OR trade with soemone local for their stock X-pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I know you don't live in the People's Republic of Communistic California... but I had a friend who bought an e46 m3 that the first owner had hollowed out the cats of. Turns out the guy must've used a shady smog place as he smogged it before selling the car... but, after 2 years, my friend had to smog it again and there was NO WAY it was going to pass. He took it to the dealership and the dealership voided the 100k mile warranty on his cats, because they'd been hammered out. It was a real pain, he had to buy new cats for the car, and even used, they are not cheap. The car got flagged a gross polluter and he had to jump through hoops to sell it, and it showed up on the carfax. He really got hosed. It may not be the case in the rest of the country with easier smog laws, just wanted y'all to understand where I am coming from.
Did he have the secondary cats still in place? Otherwise he should have known easily from the smell if he was catless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Good job!
I've never understood why so many people here don't mind spending a lot of money on aftermarket exhaust systems that drone or with unpleasant noise below 3,000 rpm.

This is definitely my next mod...
The OP's post sounded like a hack job but makes sense, and most people here have no idea what's going on with their car. BUT they do know how to throw money at it. You should have seen this place early on. EVERYONE wanted those big bling wheels with 360 Forged being the top of the list. Big ass boat anchors where the most popular wheel here. Now people think you're a hack if you modify your stock X-pipe because it's so cheap and not all shiney.

If you want a cleaner look, you just have them cut after the primary cats to the right at the resonators. The welds can be a little ugly because the stock pipes are flattened around the secondary cats and X-pipe area making it difficult to get a clean weld; just replace the x-pipe and make the weld at the resonators. It's about $200 at an exhauste place I've used before.
I haven't done this yet because I just don't feel the need for more power. I need more track time before I need more power.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0