View Single Post
      09-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I think this tire deserves it's own thread. Let's hear about your experiences with the RE-71R!

So I'm heading to COTA soon and want to pick up some fresh tires for the weekend. My original plan was to wait for the sale and purchase NT01's in 275/35R18 square on my staggered APEX EC-7 setup:
18x10" et25 front, 18x10.5" et27 rear.

What I've been hearing though is that the RE-71R might be worth trying. I've read that they are actually good in the wet when new, stickier than the NT-01's when in their prime, and generally regarded as the new hot tire to have. The downside, and I think this especially rings true for heavier cars like ours, is that they will not last as many heat cycles as the NT-01 which is known to be good to the cords. This is just my summation from reading reviews so please feel free to share your actual experience.

I am also trying to decide whether to go 275/35R18 square or staggered with 265/35R18 fronts and 285/30R18 rears. Thoughts appreciated!
I have tried 275 Nitto/RA1 variety and the RE71R. Firstly, these are modern day tires. Meaning grip is incredible, they are closer to Hoosier (don't howl as much) and are a peakier than Nitto.

Secondly, they are significantly faster in the dry and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. On a stock F80 with Pagid yellow, eibach springs and just these tires, my first time around (second lap in traffic) it did a 2:06 at VIR.

My E90 on RA1 is good for 1:24 (low) at Summit Point (when it was stock with just camber plates). This spring in an E46 with camber plates and just these tires, we did the same (for reference a One Lap M3 on MPS did a best of 1:26 completely stock).

I love them. Decent grip in the rain, although I wont say they are rain tires. For us, it gripped all the way till the cords.

Richbot is right, go for 285/18s. That's would I would put (I am running Bilstein/Eibach spring combo and surprisingly was able to fit my rear 295/30/18 with et25 10 inch wheel in the FRONT without spacer and no rubbing). Unsure about the stock strut but I like the stiffer, shorter 285 tire.

One of my students had his RE71 replaced (pro rated) under warranty from COSTCO!! Unreal.

This is my goto R comp now. A dozen of my track buddys are not running it and are significantly quicker (like a second at a minimum at Summit Point, more at VIR, Glen) with these tires.

Lutfy
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00