View Single Post
      08-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Although I woundn't discount the results, this test outcome has everything to do with the design of the test. It could simply be related to the location of the support beams in the doors or something, and the Kia's positioning might favor the test condition more than BMW's. If the test is representative of real life crashes, then BMW might need to do some redesign, but I doubt that they would have missed out on something like this in their own tests. If the test is not all that representative of real life crashes, then who cares, which is naturally what BMW is claiming.
If the crash test results were rated excellent for the 5 series, you or I wouldn't be doing any analysis or questioning of the test, just praising it. We all become defensive and rationalize when the things that are important to us are questioned. It's called cognitive dissonance. When the the M3 gets a great review we praise the mag, the reviewer and especially the car. Have you noticed, we never question any praise the car receives. A bad review for a BMW and of course the reviewer was naive, the testing results poorly conducted and definitely biased. It's just human nature and I am one of the worst offenders. Oh ya, by the way, I bet they screwed up that test.
Appreciate 0