05-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #89
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
To retain EDC, you go B6 or B16.
B12, I think, is B8s (non-EDC) + Eibachs.
But, B6 and B8 are the same, except shaft length, and B8s are only recommended when dropping ~1''+. So you can make the equivalent of an EDC B12 with EDC B6s + mild springs.

A few are very happy with their EDC B6s with Eibachs (or Dinans, or Swifts) but others have admitted to being more satisfied with the OEM setup, especially if ZCP.

I think the Bilstein stuff is a worthwhile swap as you approach 50K, but probably not an upgrade worth doing any sooner.

To clarify my post above, the benefits of a ZCP car are the suspension and wheels (wheels easily changed). As cars approach 50K and need suspension overhauls, the fact that all parts are interchangeable makes the value of a ZCP car reduced (closer to a non-ZCP car). Unless it's a garage queen or collector, why would I pay much more for a ZCP car that needs a suspension refresh when I can get a non-ZCP car and get to the exact same point after a refresh, for less? Either throw ZCP hardware on the non-ZCP car, or go Bilstein under either scenario, whichever one wants to do, and after coding, the cars are identical.
Thanks for a summarization. B12 is indeed B8 + Eibachs. There is no EDC component to that. My personal plan is swift, B6D, vorshlag camber plates. This setup isn't cheap and close to a coilover setup as I want to retain EDC.

Back on topic,

The point of this thread is to confirm ZCP parts and what is exactly different between the variations. It is up to the reader if they want to use this information and build their own ZCP or if they want to go aftermarket. If I had ZCP, I would probably not touch my setup. Since I have a non-ZCP, I was curious what the difference between the ZCP parts were and if it was feasible to do all that work.

Personally, I think it isn't enough of a drop for me and I think I will be happy with my proposed setup.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0