08-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappas Fritas View Post
Thanks for point me to this Senpai from the For Sale section. I am also hesitant to chop the ball flanges off of my stock x pipe and am sick of chopping connecting pipes and paying for custom welding to try different axlebacks with my Akrapovic x-pipe.

I've been able to dig up the following measurements to help us all out:
- Akrapovic X-Pipe ~60mm/2.375" OD slip-on connection.
- OEM X-Pipe is a 2.5" OD male ball-flange
- OEM Muffler is a 2.5" OD female ball flange

For anybody not familiar:
OD = Outside Diameter of the pipe
ID = Inside Diameter of the pipe

I have been pursuing this part on summit racing made by Walker as an option: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41723

Didn't work as well as I hoped but this is what I can share so far:
- The good news: I verified that this is the size flange (2.5"OD) that we need the akra to be adapted to because the walker's sealing surface mates to the akrapovic slip on adapter's mating surface (the adapter that comes with the axle-back to mate to the stock x pipe).
- The Bad news, the oem clamp does not clamp it together. The male flange on this Walker part isn't as "thick" as the oem ball flange so the oem clamp does not "squeeze" the flanges together. That problem may be able to be solved in a few ways: 1) adding a ring to fill that gap between the clamp inner wall and the walker flange, 2) finding a narrower clamp 3) retrofitting the muffler side to use the walker bolt setup

Any feedback or ideas on how to solve this clamping issue would be greatly appreciated.

If I can find an easy way to solve the clamping issue, then I can work on shortening (right before it expands to the 2.5"ID plain end) and adapting the plain end of it to attach/seal to the akra x-pipe.

I'll be bringing the car into the garage in the next week (installing my akrapovic axle-back) so I will take some measurements of the akrapovic x pipe and do some test fitments and see if it is close enough to continue pursuing the Walker as a cheap/easy option. I will report back as soon as I have more developments!

Good luck everybody!
I wasn't able to test fit a clamp since mine are still on the car . I ordered the Hedman Headers one off amazon since they offer free returns so if this doesn't work out I'll probably just look into finding a cheap stock x pipe to chop off the ball flange off that. Also looks like the hedman ones don't need to be cut down to size since the hedman ones are only 4" long.

Worst case scenario I might try to fill the gap with exhaust wrap? Just an idea but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'll probably eventually swap into an akra rear section and not have to deal with adapters.