12-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #56
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Thoughts. While I respect your beliefs, I cannot adopt them.
That's the thing about this individual who calls himself 128Convertibleguy, he is always focused on himself and his personal beliefs in these threads. Just so you know Mr. 128, the poster you are responding to wasn't asking you to accept his beliefs.

Quote:
I resonate more with the idea of a Universalist God, if one exists. Our sins in this life are dealt with in this life. Everyone is "saved". No exceptions. That's a concept that may be hard to get one's mind around, but it's also a concept worthy of a loving God that created the Universe we know.
I'm fairly sure I'm not going to like where this exchange will lead, but I'll bite anyway.

1) How many religions actually believe that everyone is "saved" regardless of their morality or actions? I can't think of any, though I'm not saying that there aren't any. My point is, most religions have a concept of good vs. evil and demonstrate of the concept of an afterlife that rewards the good and punishes the evil. If you think about the historical context from which most religions arose, these kind of moral guidelines were heavily needed (genocide, war, famine, inequality, ect. were rampant during those eras, much more so than today). If you want to say that you believe in the "everybody is saved' concept, fine, but I don't know what "universalist' religion you are referring to.

2) So if you think everyone should be "saved" does that include people like Hitler?

Quote:
I also like better the attitude of other religions that are more accepting than Christianity of other beliefs. Many Asian religions incorporate the idea of "many paths up one mountain". To me, the key to avoiding the devastating religious strife the world has seen for thousands of years is, simply not to place your religious beliefs on a pedestal above all others.
Christianity, especially in its present form, is one of the most accepting and tolerant religions in the world. If you want to discuss things like the Crusades, Inquisition, ect., I concede, as will any realist historian, that its institutions have been corrupted and misused in the past. But I attribute those wrongs to the people who perpetrated those acts, not to the religion itself. The teachings of Christianity espouse:
- turning the other cheek
-loving thy neighbor
-mingling with and helping the beggars and lepers of society

Those, among other Judeo-Christian principles, were focused on creating harmony among people, which was a novel concept at the time the religion's birth. The actions taken by some Christians after the death of Jesus may have contrasted significantly with these teachings, but again those actions/behaviors should not be confused with the principles and moral code that Christianity actually espoused.

Also to suggest that Asian culture was much more accepting and tolerant of religious diversity is laughable. There has been nothing but war and strife in Asia since the age of antiquity, and religious persecution was not at all a foreign concept to that area of the world. There were many a Chinese general, who were considered good, devout, Taoists, who slaughtered countless civilians during the dynastic and civil strife that racked pre-communist China. I don't know how you can consider that a more "accepting" belief system than Christianity which had similar issues.

As for Christianity placing itself on a pedastal, that is a misstatement. Every religion thinks it has found what it has defined as their optimal belief system. That's why it is a religion to begin with. Buddhism outlines its preferred beliefs, as does Christianity, Taoism, Hinduism, Islam, ect. So in that sense, every religion puts itself on a pedastal, though I think that is the wrong way to phrase it.

Quote:
I recognize your faith, but there is no possibility of my adopting it, as my Christian friends understand.
Again dude, the poster you are responding to wasn't asking you to adopt his beliefs, he was simply stating his own. Have fun and enjoy your belief system. No one is trying to take that away from you.

Last edited by Dalko43; 12-29-2014 at 10:43 AM.