02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #115
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I just ran a comparison on Edmunds for a 2008 E92 M3 with 50k, in Oustanding condition. With nav added about $600 in value. With a 2006 E46 M3, it's something of a wash.

Adding the nav on a current model means the Premium Package at over US$4k. I guess the decision is whether the nav option expense is worth the difference.

These are sportscars! Maybe with a luxury cruiser an outdated nav has more value, especially if it has the potential to be seriously upgraded. But at some point, I can't help but feel that the ancient screen, sluggish processor and low-grade graphics are going to detract, not add to the value, no? Or at least not get back that extra 4 grand invested.

If you get a chance, if you haven't already, I recommend sitting in a new Tesla sedan at the mall and just take in the giant touchscreen, bigger than any tablet, bright, clear and intuitive. I think that's more like the kind of nav tech we're all going to have in 5 years, and the dinky screen on today's model (which already is a few years old) will feel like looking at first-generation Super Mario Bros.

YMMV, but speaking for myself, I hated the nav in my 2007 335xi well before my 3-year lease ended. It was almost embarrassing.
My thoughts exactly, If I were in the market for one I'd actually prefer an E46 NOT have a nav system since it is so dated. I'm getting this car under the assumption that I'll be holding on to it for several years, beyond the usefulness of the current nav system.

Plus in all honesty...My 2010 E90 335i has the hard drive based nav system and I use my phone for map directions 100% of the time while driving...who has time to peck addresses (which I got from goggle maps on my phone) into the nav system?

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0