View Single Post
      09-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #32
White 13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
As I understand it the distance should essentially be the same up to a point. Extra weight will have an effect on the shape of the contact patch and how it interacts with the road surface - there is a weight on a tyre's contact patch which gives the optimum pressure (per unit of area) pressing the tyre against the road surface which then produces the maximum grip (the complex interaction between a braking tyre and the road surface is a book in itself). In principle extra weight on a tyre produces greater grip if the tyre is designed for it - think F1 where a car can brake at up to 6g at 220mph due to the tonnes of downforce produced by the cars aerodynamics. How extra weight would affect the tyres on an M3 is unknown but I suspect the tyres have quite a wide operating window. There will be also a crossover speed at which the min weight M3 can still fully activate the ABS down to 0mph while the max weight M3 will not be able to - pick a speed 150mph? I don't know...whatever that speed is, its the moment that a big brake kit would make a difference.

Absolutely...I think I am right but I if I'm wrong I would rather find out so I'll know better for next time. Discussing and learning stuff is the best part of M3post.
Looks like we have too many variables to ever get to apples and apples. I guess I am going to have to find that book on tire grip and read it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0