View Single Post
      08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #48
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
also had a IX and X, regretted the X. too heavy, gearing too short, quite thirsty, though the handling is insane. IX was raw as hell.

but both cars had one major flaw that would prevent me from ever owning one as the only car again.

turbo lag.

especially in summer heat with a/c, first gear from a stop is completely useless. i spent 2 yrs daily driving these Evos and put over 60k miles combined.

super fun at night when it's cool and when you're in a spirited mood. but after a long day at work coming home all the rattles and squeaks and exhaust done eventually got to me.

maybe look into the new CLA45 amg? Not sure if you mind not having a 3rd pedal as your only car/DD...i know i can't, but for me the CLA is a grown up/mature Evo/STi - AWD, turbo, DCT, sounds like win on paper. plus the exhaust note sounds better than the Evos though not better than the STi IMHO (also had one...inside a GC8 body)
As you mentioned, the Evo 8/9 are more raw, lighter and more immediate than the Evo X. But the Evo X's handling was superior. Evo 8/9 tend to understeer from the factory. Evo X will swing the tail out like a RWD car.

I never really found lag an issue. The car was a rocket from 3k to 6k rpm all the time. But then living in SF the temps never top 80 degrees even when it gets "hot".

I did get rid of it because of the daily driving problems you mentioned. The car only felt right when you were driving at a track. I'd hate driving the Evos for daily driving and then fall in love with it on fun drives. The M3 is much more balanced, I can enjoy it driving at a sane speed as much as I can on a track.

The CLA just looks really ugly to me. The whole body is big and bloated with tiny wheels. It looks like someone took a CLS and shrunk the front and rear but left the center cabin the same size.