View Single Post
      03-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

USB Flash Drive for music cutting out?

Not sure if anyone else has had these problems. I haven't tested it but I'm hoping this issue is because I don't have a BMW approved USB Flash drive.

I have a PNY Atouche 8GB USB Flash drive that I've loaded my music onto. I just put all the MP3 files on there, no folders or anything. I also have the drive plugged directly into the USB port in the center console, not using the cable.

I'm noticing two different problems:

1) It's random but pretty often (several times a day) when listening to music from the flash drive it will just randomly stop and switch to the radio (and no I'm not accidently pressing the iDrive controller or the button on the steering wheel (mine is set for mute not change audio source)). I have USB as a shortcut button, but if I press it right away after it switches to radio it pops up with "this programmable key is currently not available". But if I wait a few seconds THEN press the shortcut it will start playing exactly where it left off on the flash drive.

2) I took me a while to notice this but if I use the Random track feature when listening to music from the flash drive it will randomly choose from about 30 songs only (out of about 400 some I put on the flash drive). I'm kind of picky about what song I want to listen too depending on the mood I'm in, so I often just skip to next track, sometimes several times in a row. I noticed it on a 30 min trip where I was skip a lot and it just keep looping the same 20-30 songs even though it was on Random.

So anyone else had these issues, or have tips on how to solve/troubleshoot them?