View Single Post
      02-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I still think your argument is a bit flawed. For a new car @ $50K there isn't a car out there that can touch a 335, in terms of performance, platform, and tuning potential. The N54 is that good.

As htoudiee said, with $2-3K you're into the sub 11's (Z06/Viper territory). You simply CANNOT do this with a Geo, Civic, etc... without spending over double, possibly triple what the car's worth period. The fact that with a few K a "3 series" BMW can keep up with cars like the RS5, Z06, etc....I think pretty much says it all.

Sure the RS5 comes stock with it's specs....but at how much more of a premium? $30K+? I'll take the $50K 335 + $3K in mods anyday, but that's me.
Yes, but there are several cars that can easily be modded that are less than $50K. While they may lack the "comfort" they can easily keep up and surpass the performance of the N54 currently. STI and EVO are two such vehicles. Both of those are actually much better track performers for many reasons over our 335's. Our cars are really good straight line autobahn cruisers. They left a little to be desired for track performance though.
Appreciate 0