Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Oh dear

This and the lower than expected sale seems to be a good opportunity to think about the i vehicle line up. There's room for at least two maybe three more i8 models with bigger engines IMO

Mercedes and Porsche are doing it with the GT and 911 successfully so BMW must have to ask themselves why not the i8, why is it not selling like hot cakes ?!

Having a 7 series that's faster doesn't help
The i8 is not designed to be a standard ICE vehicle. Its core is to provide sustainable technology, high performance and optimum weight at a highly unconventional level something it succeeds in.
The i8S replaces its three cylinder with a four cylinder again with the same aim.

But once again must I educate? BMWi is a long term investment it is not just about cars but the entire philosophy on how we use and build our cars from vehicle services,materials, construction and sustainable production methods within manufacturing. We are already years ahead of many manufacturers in advanced construction techniques in a volume vehicle which will be extended with the next generation 5er and so on across the range.

The i3 and the i8 are the first BMW models so it is rightfully that we allowed them to establish themselves within the market which they have done.
To which they have been a success from a global perspective.
There is no rush until the next BMWi model which is why we will not see it till 2020 in production guise, although a purely conceptual idea will be shown first.

Now it is about the next stage of progress for the i3 and i8 models. The i3 comes first this Summer with the i8 next year.

Whilst the future vehicle development has been in discussion. The next phase of sustainable technology is well underway for production @ BMW such as Power eDrive and Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology which will be shown imminently.
All sounds exciting Scott. Especially the i8S ...maybe there's room for an i8R and i8 GTS in future.

I wonder if BMW has done some market research as to what buyers would want from electric hybrid cars now they've tested the water. The price bracket the i8 occupies is competitive and TBH no one who spends that money is that worried about mpg over mph (their BIK tax bracket maybe).

The i8 is THE best looking car available today IMO and I'd love to see it as range of vehicles rather than just one or two models. Roll on i.

At the other end of the market, I expect given how many Eco 116d and 118d I see on the roads today, a hybrid version of a 1er would probably sell well! Even if it is sadly FWD
Appreciate 0