View Single Post
      05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Most of that 20 hp you're talking about is just the individual dyno and all the variabilities involved in making a run. Unless a car is well out of the normal range its probably making pretty close to the same hp as any other car of the same exact type.

I'll give you an example. Back when I got my 3G Dodge diesel it was among the first made with the new engine type. A local diesel shop had a dyno day and 4 of us ran our similarly new trucks with the roughly the same low mileage on that dyno in less than an hour with the shop owner driving the vehicles on the dyno and trying his best to use exactly the same procedure. Because there was a lot of interest in what the trucks would do he ran each one 3 times while on the rollers and averaged the results. All four trucks fell within a 4 hp range. A few months later I rolled by to pick up some parts and at that time he had then run a number of further trucks on the dyno and he told me that they seemed to be falling into the low 220s to low 240s range. Notice how you have a range of about 20 hp on the same dyno but different days? You can pretty much figure that all of them were making close to the same power.
Appreciate 0