08-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #50
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Well I guess that's where we have a difference of opinion. Because to me the side by side drag race is perfect. Even with the fact that there is driver error. Paper numbers have no value in my book if you consistently come in last in a drag race. You can argue all you want how perfect your car is on paper but for whatever reason if it's not winning races then those numbers don't mean anything.
It is interesting to see how different cars perform differently in the hands of different drivers in different conditions etc, and understand why. But if you want to have a more objective perspective on which car performs better, you need to eliminate variance in the testing conditions. Watching m5board drag videos don't cut it in that respect although they are entertaining. Conducting the type of analysis the OP has presented is useful for that reason. I don't understand why you would want to take a strong position against this as it only contributes valuable information to the discussion. After all, that is exactly the type of thought process that makes it possible for manufacturers to develop these machines in the first place. This does not negate the experience behind the wheel, but only adds to it IMO.