View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Not a good idea to wetsand M3 clear coat?

Dropped my '11 E92 off with a detailer today. Apparently he's very meticulous and only works on higher end cars out of a residential garage. He's the guy who details all the Ferraris around here and came highly recommended as the only person they take their cars to.

One thing I wanted done was to have all the orange peel wet sanded down. Outside the car looks great but under fluorescent lights the Space gray paint is far from smooth.

He measured the paint and it was about 88-92 microns all the way around. Apparently he likes to see at least 120. Given it's a daily driver and it will see the track he told me he couldn't in good conscience recommend taking it down at all. 2 tiny rock chips had already hit the front and nicked it through the paint so I can understand his comment. But, I've also seen pics of other BMW's that have been sanded to a mirror smooth finish.

It's not about the money although not sanding it will save me a grand. I just want the best appearance without risking the integrity of the paint and causing more problems down the road. FWIW, it's getting an Avery Dennison clear bra after the detail.

Anyone have their M3 sanded? Was the paint as thin to start with? Anyone agree it's a bad idea?

Thanks
Appreciate 0