01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #49
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
I just had mine replaced last week, my 3rd windshield on this car. Each time I did the replacement, I went with OEM glass and each was Saint Gobain (will check to confirm.) Sandblasting has been pretty bad, but it does seem to absorb larger impacts better than other cars I've had without cracking.

For my first replacement, the dealer went through ordering three different windshields before they got one that didn't have any defects and even that one had waviness on the passenger side. For this most recent replacement, again they had to order twice to get one that didn't have imperfections (chips, scratches.) Seems like there are still QC issues with the OEMs.

I don't know that I car as much about the OEM glass (esp given the experience above) but I did't feel that comfortable having Safelite do the replacement on this car after having some bad experiences with them. My insurance (Allstate) outsources their glass claims management to Safelite, so they try to direct you to their company to do the replacement. I've been able to go with the dealer each time and get reimbursed - each time has been about $950 all in.

For this install, I noticed that they might have been sloppy with the adhesive (looks kind of wavy - see below.) Any else see this on their car? Generally only see it when bright sun is shining in from the side.

I have seen that sloppy adhesive coming through on the inside on other windshield replacements..I made sure I was there when they did mine.. They used an angled nozzle that beads the silcone in a triangle shape so that when they pressed the glass in, the bead sealed evenly. Its cosmetic but it mattered to me.
Appreciate 0