08-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #71
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums.com View Post
Singletrack... I think it just comes down to Imports of all makes (Japan/Euro/Italian) can't make a stick that compares to how the American manufactures do them. The first 2 of 3 examples you shared, I've driven, and they were crap and worse than the M3 IMO as well...

The best Manual Trans I can remember was actually my '89 C4 Corvette... with the ZF German made gearbox, that trans was butter... and missed shifts were none existent, as was the ability to powershift (no lift) every gear, and never grind a gear... Not sure how they could get that trans so 'right' and all the euro stuff today now so wrong... personally, it's probably more 'linkage' setups than the actual trans itself, as it seems they are no longer attached to the actual transcase like back then?

But (IMO) the euro and jap manuals just feel loose and a bit 'disconnected' from the rest of the chassis, in my track experience.

I was a die-hard manual guy... and both my dedicated track cars still are... but only due to two main reasons: a.) they're older... 3rd & 4th Gen F-Body's.. so no DCT stuff in dem days! b.) It seems the DCT cars are having a tough time with heating issues on track... fine for a few track days here and there... but not yet up to the task of full on races, whereas the standard manuals don't generate the same heat... in the 'retail/general public' vehicles. Purpose built Race Duty, PDK/DCT and others are fine... but we aren't getting anything close to those in production cars yet.

All my street cars are now DCT cars... as once you 'admit' how they can do everything so much better, they can be quite enjoyable to drive every day... whether like an old man, or on a spirited jaunt!

I don't expect to convert anyone... it took me YEARS to finally give in.. but once I purchased my SMG M5... it was obvious... even that prehistoric beginning of DCT today... was so intoxicating in S6 DSC off going through gears on the track/street etc...

The one recommendation I can make to any 'hard-core' 6 speed enthusiasts... is if you'd like to give a DCT/SMG a fair shake... be sure to have all traction controls disabled... and trans in absolute fastest/race position... then drive around... even part throttle like you 'normally' would... and feel how connected everything feels... then do some spirited driving as well... and then you may think different.

Peace,
Dave
I never said I didn't like Dct/pdk/etc, I just didn't want one. I still like to use a clutch. I probably won't pick up an "auto" until the 430s come down in price further. But things change so who knows.

If you think the STi 6sp sucks, then we are just on different planets. If the only reference is a 89 vette then I'm afraid I can't relate. Sounds like there were problems with your m3 tranny which sucks and is frustrating, but I can assure you that I have no such issue. A ssk also makes it much more precise and I do think the stock throws are too long and sloppy, although smooth with the exception of 1st to 2nd.
Appreciate 0