View Single Post
      03-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
IMHO Don't buy a 2008 //M3. The e9x //M3 cars were a mid-year replacement starting in about the spring of 2008. They were pre-LCI cars with the old iDrive/Nav. But it was the first introduction of the S-65 V8 which made them unreliable. BMW doesnt have a great reputation for designing and building rock solid V-8s. I think the //M3 S-65 V8s were hand built. So the first year saw many bad engines. Your X5 50i is notorious for needing a valve job even with low miles. Also avoid the DCT, since if it fails = $15,000.
A 6 spd MT is alot cheaper to maintain.

If you work on your own cars, then TVA replacement at 60-80k miles will be <$1200, since they are cheap now. Liquid Moly 10w60 oil changes will be <$120 vs the dealership $250-400.

The e92 //M3 Coupes were built until 2013. There was a competition package available in the later years with gorgeous rims. The rod bearing material was changed in 2011 from lead/copper to aluminum/tin. Premature rod bearing failure, especially with high horse power and tracked cars is an issue. Without a warranty, it is a big risk to push these cars hard or to use as a daily drive with very high mileage.

Signup for cargurus.com plus autotrader.com and get a daily list of //M3s in your area that meets your criteria. There are a huge number of //M3 Coupes with <70k miles in every color. Just check the CarFax, which Car Guru does for you. You can get a //M3 car <$30,000, with pricing analyst. Also check the FS/WTB section here on m3post.com for the best maintained //M3 cars. Use bmwvin.com to verify the build sheet from the VIN.

Recommend you look for...
2011-2013 e92 or e90 //M3 Coupe or Sedan with <60k miles
- 6 spd MT
- Competition Package with 359M wheels
- EDC
- Nav/iDrive
- Carbon Leather Trim
- Carbon Fiber Roof
- Best Ext. colors Interlagos Blue / Lemans Blue / Space Gray / Ok White or Jerez Black
- Best Int. colors Fox Red / Terra / Silvertone-Gray / Ok Black

//M3 e9x cars are one of the best cars ever made and are a blast to own and drive every day.

Good luck in your search,

PS I almost bought a BMW 335i M-Sport CPO car online from an out of state BMW dealership and it had a clean CarFax. Turns out that the car was wrecked at the BMW Performance Center track in South Carolina, so that "accident" wasnt reported to DMV and didnt appear on the CarFax Report. Car was repaired by BMW and was offered up for sale by one of their dealerships. The car couldnt be sold as a CPO Car, so it was sold as a Pe-Owned Used Car. HaHa what a joke.
Appreciate 0