View Single Post
      02-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

keep the M3 or get a Boss Mustang?

I know there is another thread concerning the new Boss Mustang. To be honest a year ago, the idea would never have crossed my mind to trade the M3 for a Mustang. I could have posted in the other thread but I didn't want to hijack or have the question get lost if people are not checking that one.

I have one of the first DCT M3 coupes that was sold in the US. I got mine in July 08. I am very happy with it.

IMO the M3 is all around great. Great comfort (for me as I was driving a S2000), great performance, great usefullness (rear seats and trunk), good looking etc..

I love the DCT a lot, but I find myself in auto-mode most of the time and sometimes feel bored not shifting.

I love the performance and sure handling of the M3. It's safe and secure but has a little danger around the edge.

I do not dislike my M3 at all. However it seems a little tame now that I have gotten used to it.

I am either going to keep the M3 for another 4-5 years, or, trade the M3 in for a Mustang Boss 302. (at this time that is my decision tree). I do not want to pay more on top of what I already paid such as to get a Cayman S or a Vette (or such), just thinking a new Boss would cost near what my trade or sale of the 3-year old M3 is worth.

It seems it would be a lateral move on price (as the M3 should be worth ~$40K-$44K for a trade as it has most of the options).

I love the M3 8000+ redline. I don't think the performance of the M3 is bad at all, but guess the Boss 305 would take it up a notch. Like if the M3 is 8/10 for performance the Boss would be 9/10.

The Boss would be something different, and has a ton of Tq. I have never had a car with that kind of TQ.

While I love the DCT in the M3 and glad I got it, I also miss hi-performance MT car. I miss the ability to interact with the road/wheels/clutch the way I could with my S2000.

My main question is... How big of a step down would it be from the M3 to the Mustang. I am sure the Mustang is lower quality feel, just as going from my S2000 Honda to the M3 was a big step, I wonder if going to a Mustang would be a serious step back, in ride quality and overall fit and quality.

Back around 2004, I was considering a Corvette Z06, and loved the performance out of the box, I just could not get over the cheapness of the interior and the truck-ish steering wheel and some parts that was just looked like it came from a Geo Metro bin. At that time, to me it I loved the performance of the Vette, but the interior made me want to puke.

have any of you gone from M3 to Mustang and if so what do you think?

I am talking about the current gen Mustang with the 6-speed and the 400+ hp engine that is on par with the M3 power, the next Boss should leave the M3 in the dust in some regards, such as raw power and is more visually loud which I wouldn't mind either.

At this time, I am either thinking of getting a mod or something like new wheels on the M3 to make it feel fresh or waiting for the spring/summer and getting a Boss. Would like to hear what other M3 ownere think about that.

thanks for reading.

Last edited by rai; 02-15-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0