View Single Post
      06-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon86 View Post
I just want to add a little extra punch to my e93(I love my vert so don't suggest getting the coup/sedan). But to me it feels kind of sluggish compared to the coupe.

So my question is how can I improve its performance without voiding my warranty from BMW?
Your warranty does not become void when you mod your car. That is a myth that is perpetuated by people who are uneducated.

What happens in reality is that when you mod a car in a way that might have a serious chance of causing a faliure your warranty on the associated faliures becomes de-facto voided. Meaning that if you double your horsepower your power train warranty is voided or if you instal a tow hook the warranty on the associated aprts of your frame is de-facto voided.

The reason this is called de-facto void is because it is against the law in many parts of the world including the whole of the United States to void an automotive warranty claim based on a mod unless you have concrete proof that mod caused the faliure to happen. Unfortunately dealers do not follow this law even if it is the law, in your country, and instead they generally will deny a warranty claim is there is reasonable suspicion that your mod caused your warranty claim. So this is why serious mods cause de-facto voiding of certain parts of your warranty. Not because your warranty is voided in reality but because your mods are suspicious to a reasonable person in an associated claim.

BMW though has been known to void warranties in very rare cases. This is when a vehicle has been totaled or has had so much work done to it that it is essentially a new car. This is technically against the law for them to do in many places yet they still do it and it's reasonable of them to do so. They can also void certain parts of your warranty like your trunk if you were rear ended for example.

In some all too common cases a local BMW service rep will try to send a request to void your warranty for a simple mod to BMW corporate, out of complete misguidance because they too buy into the myth that your warranty is void with simple mods. There are a few examples of service reps doing this to members. The general response of BMW coporate is telling the service rep they are stupid though not with that exact wording.

In any case, it is an absolute myth that BMW can void your warranty for mods except in rare and justifiable cases where the car was rebuilt and is no longer their responsibility or where a car is just so far gone from factory spec that giving it a warranty isn't reasonable.

The only problem you'll run into is raising enough red flags to have certain warranty work denied by being too questionable. In Canada you have no recourse to arousing too much suspicion, and they can deny work on a hunch, so don't give them a serious reason to blame your mods and you won't have a problem.

If you want no questions asked in any service visit then just stick to doing a catted full exhaust, intake, pulley and other minor things.

If you were worried about putting a supercharger on and not being able to get your speakers fixed if they blow, that is a myth, false, and will never happen. If your driveline blows with a supercharger you'll be stuck with the bill for causing the problem but besides that you have nothing to worry about.

Dinan also makes heavily marked up parts that carry a full warranty so you will have no issues if you instal their parts too.

Hope that helps.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER

Last edited by Legion5; 06-15-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0