View Single Post
      10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASENNA View Post
Just upgraded from a 320d to M3 with Zcp and am not enjoying the firmer ride. Silly me with more dollars than sense didn\'t test drive the car. I just assumed the \'comfort\' setting on the EDC would actually do what it infers.

Not being a genius around cars (or anything else for that matter), I need all the advice I can get on making the ride a bit softer. Do I lower the tyre pressures? Change the tyres (PS2\'s)? Change the wheels? Or go as far as altering the suspension? The 320d ride was as firm as I really want it to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is it a new car? If so, just make sure that what happened to me didn't happen to you. The dealer forgot to take out the front shipping blocks from inside the rubber shroud of the front shocks. The front end sat a little high by about an inch, and the ride was BRUTAL. I just knew it couldn't be right and with the help of this forum, I was able to diagnose the problem within a couple of days.

The M3 has a firm ride, but not compared to cars like a Porsche 911 or Nissan GTR. With the shipping blocks in, there didn't appear to be a huge change in ride comfort between the different EDC modes. Once they were out, changing the modes definitely changed the ride softness. Overall, I am very happy with the ride/handling balance of the M3 and don't find it harsh at all.

Interestingly enough, I actually find the sport setting more "comfortable" than the comfort setting. While the comfort setting is certainly softer, it also tends to produce a "clunkier ride" over uneven pavement. The sport setting provides a more supple ride and I like that better.

In any case, check out the shipping block issue if it is a new car.