smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
What advice would you give to someone pushing max weight every workout?

Focus on form and only do weight you can handle?

Had 20" arms at one point last Fall...but I was 294# and 23% body fat lol...still though, used to put the fear of god in people's eyes when I was 294...
At any age or size the key is variety. Muscle confusion is a variable most ppl overlook. But when you adhere to this principle results come fast and plenty. Work weaknesses (which most don’t) and limit 1RMs to every 4-6 weeks. Even the most successful Power Lifters only “Max out” on that time line. Most will tell you they concentrate on Volume training. Working at 75%-90% of their 1RM. And it usually is for reps of 5 or less.

I use this method and principles on my big lifts ie....Squats /Deads / Pressing and some Oly lifts. Even at my age 46...my numbers haven’t dropped off that much as compared to my numbers at 36. Many ppl get obsessed with chasing numbers and they neglect the proper programming it takes to get there. I am by no means a Pro. But have trained at above normal levels as a college athlete and competed in Crossfit up until last year (masters division).

I train at home, at a Globo gym and at a CF gym. But it is at the Globo gym I cringe the most at what ppl do. Unless I see someone possible about to hurt themselves I keep to myself. But a lot of these youngsters are only interested in “Glory lifting” and posting it on social media. Awful form and injuries usually ensue. So back to the original question in the quote post....I would tell that person to limit 1RMs and vary their programming and work on their fitness/engine as we only get one body and it needs to last. And remember the inside is more important then the outside. That’s what Health and Fitness is really about!
Got it, I do try to work on flexibility as much as possible (major weakness for me). Definitely not gonna ignore that...

But interesting perspective on 1RMs...even if you never fail on 1RM, limit it to once every several weeks? Guess 1RM don't do much other than feed your ego...
Appreciate 1