View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #24
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I'm curious as to why it doesn't make sense that this isn't a very good city car?
I live in the suburbs of NYC, specifically Long Island and I already feel overwhelmed with the amount of traffic to comfortably push the M3 in any daytime traffic. Can you imagine driving this thing through the grids of Manhattan with 25mph speed limits and no twists?

I can't say the same for LA as I've never been there before, but I can't imagine the M3 being much fun in LA traffic either.
Entirely valid point that LA / West Coast is likely a different scenario than NY / East Coast. Yes, there's tons of traffic, but there's also some pretty great roads and even stretches of freeways within 20 miles of downtown.

I suppose part of it is I work from home almost 100% of the time I'm not traveling, so every time I get to drive it's still fun for me, even in traffic.

For me the M3 still feels entirely capable and not stiff or rough at all in downtown LA, and to your point, SD / OC / and even West LA / Santa Monica don't really count as "city" driving.

My E36 and E46 were 5MT / 6MT, ended up getting DCT in the E92, that may be part of it too. It was frustrating getting in first and then getting out of first every minute for an hour in traffic with a manual, DCT not so much.

I guess my point is that I can't imagine I would be happier in traffic in a 335, or really any other car.
Appreciate 0