Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
It is a very common misconception that the wider the tire, the better it will hook up in a straight line.

This is why a Tesla can launch so hard on skinny 195's. Width has nothing to do with it.

The rubber compound and flex of the sidewall are the physics behind it. The wider a tire the better lateral grip it can produce...that's why road racers need as wide of a tire they can get.

I guarantee that with stock 265 PSS, you would straight line hook way better than with your 315 Falkens. Hell, you could hook better using a 225 r888s.
No I still have my stock 18inch wheels with PSS on them in stock sizes. Thrown them on before just for fun, in a straight line they fry like bacon through 3rd gear. Of course the Falken Azenis are a much softer tire and provide more grip than PSS, not sure about the side wall difference between the 2 though. R888's would be even softer than my Azenis but are loud as hell.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0