View Single Post
      01-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #62
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Hello Everyone,

Thought about posting on the subject since I have had the same issue for quite a while.

It all started about 2 years ago, right after an oil change to Liqui Moly 10W60. Prior to that I had always used Castrol. Engine had about 16k~18k miles (it's got 26k miles now). As soon as I heard the ticking noise, I change the oil back to Castrol but the noise persisted. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing, even after having the car for 4 days and the engine running for about 3:55 hours. Got the car and told them I'd bring it back in a few days. Noise was gone after a few more miles.

Since them, every single time there is an oil change, noise is back. It does not really matter which oil it is; Castrol, Liqui Moly or the M Power. I can duplicate the problem every single time oil is changed. As a side note, engine oil is changed every 3k miles. However, the noise goes away after a few miles, not even 50 miles.

Another interesting thing also happens: engine makes a terrible sound when started right after the oil change, while engine is “dry”. This sound only happens occasionally though, not every time the oil is changed. It may or may not happen. And it gets more interesting: the right-after-oil-change-noise has happened since before the ticking noise started. Oil was first changed at about 1100 miles, as per computer (break-in oil). That was the first and only time dealer performed an oil change. Since I only drive about 5k miles/year, dealer used to give me the oil+filter every 15k miles or once a year and I’d change the oil as per my schedule.

Engine so far has not shown any signs of the infamous rod bearings problem. Ticking in my case is not related to temperature or oil brand. Noise does not change frequency when engine RPM is changed. I can’t and will not say that this whole thing started after Liqui Moly. I still believe it was a coincidence. I use Liqui Moly stuff all the time and have used since long. What I can say for sure is that, in my case, it has nothing to do with exhaust, or heat shield.

BTW, dealer's Service Advisor, Service Manager and BMW regional representative tell me that the right-after-oil-change-noise is due to an engine “flap”, whatever that means. They could not tell what this "flap" is or does.

Thank you.

Appreciate 1