View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #67
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Okay, I'm admitting defeat.
I have fiddled the past two days with the front subframe bushings. The rears are no issue, no problem, particularly given the flange that goes all the way around the bushing.

I was able to get the fronts started and advanced to within 3/4" of being seated (which is still a ways off). I stripped out 3 standard threaded rods. I Cut an inch off the cup so I could use some Grade 5 hardware I found, but the tabs on the flange plate bent from too much pressure and kept slipping off.

Next I invited my neighbor over who used to own and run a bunch of tire shops. We tried a chain around a 4 ton floor jack, but it just didn't work.

So, then I broke down and went to Northern Tool and got a 12 ton hydraulic press. Even with the press I couldn't get the bushing to more than flush with the end of the sub-frame flange. There's just no way to support the outside of the flange and the edge is just tiny and flared to the outside so your press plates just pop right out as soon as you apply some force. I don't have much in the way of metal pieces to try to fit in to support the inside of the flange.

What's crazy is the interference fit, at least in my sub-frame, is much tighter for the front bushings than the rear. I think they are at least a few 10 thousands too big. My neighbor says he would have measured the inside and outside diameters to see where we are but I had already started both bushings.

I'm really stuck at this point, which is a bit unusual for me. We'll work something out but the plans to start the installation of the subframe this weekend is not going to work out. That's life.

Last edited by VictorH; 07-20-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0