07-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #45
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Nah, cost cutting plain and simple.
As I just explained, every manufacturer works within a costs structure. You can identify elements of any product that reveal cost-driven design and content decisions.

Tesla has made compromises with the Model 3 in order to deliver an electric sport sedan at a specific price to the consumer on a timeline that is in significantly ahead of the rest of the industry.

Quote:
Like I said the Model S could have been designed the exact same way, but wasn't.
The Model S is in an entirely different segment where transaction prices are higher and there is more margin to work with.

Quote:
Had GM come out with the Bolt in the exact same "total-tablet" dash configuration, you and every other BMW fanboy would be espousing my exact sentiment.
I'll remind you that part of the terms of your return after your recent ban was to be respectful. If you can not engage in discussion without being hostile and baiting other forum members with school-yard style name calling, you will be shown the door.

The Bolt is built to cost just like any other product. It cannot match the Model 3 in performance nor in driving range. The reason for that is that it uses less capable drive components and battery which also cost less than those in the Model 3. That's where your "cost cutting" is for that particular product.

Quote:
For some reason people think Tesla is a luxury car maker. The Model S stands nowhere near its (S) class rivals in luxury.
The Model S manages to outsell a number of similarly priced vehicles which are categorized as luxury vehicles. Whether or not it meets your standard of luxury does not matter because a significant number of other consumers have decided that the product represents good value to them.

Quote:
And yup, I am actually am a Tesla target customer.
The data shows that Tesla is building products that appeal to a significant number of people. These people are willing to make compromises that you are not in order to get an EV today. Since you do not identify as a member of that group, you are by definition not the current target.

The fact that Tesla does not build cars to your desired specification means you will have to wait for another manufacture to offer an EV to your liking. The costs of electric vehicle components are projected to decline steadily which will allow for less compromise in other areas of the product. If your interest in EVs is genuine and remains in place, eventually, you will be able to get an EV with all of the features you want.

Perhaps at that point - the point where there is EV competition in the segments in which Tesla competes today - in order to survive, Tesla will be forced to adjust the content of their vehicles to match what competitors are able to deliver. You may then find their products appealing and choose to purchase one, or perhaps you will prefer a competitor's product instead.
Appreciate 0