Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
agree!!!!!!!!!! and have alot of free time
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Don't you work?? I kid..
While it's true that my kids are all grown up and one would think I have more spare time...it's really the opposite because I've filled every hour of every day with something (work, hobbies, etc.). Oh, and the wife was never letting me hear the end of it. Not only was I consumed working on the project, but my entire kitchen and dining room was laid out with electronics gear, soldering iron, wiring, etc. By the time the event came around, I was in pretty deep in the dog house. I'm sure nobody else can relate.

Quote:
Very cool.. But isn't it easier to still just use a number of different Go Pros and do the editing later on.

This seems like a lot of work for real time camera ops (understanding that this is prototype piece)
There are already two camera's under remote control, and I think I could actually do three with this set up. We could manually turn them all on/off and record/stop. But that's not what I wanted to do. If we go the old school approach of manually turning them all on, then yes I'd have to edit the footage. But I'd also have to bring extra SD cards to events and swap them out from time to time...not to mention battery replacement. The gimbals are real tight designs and it is possible to remove/replace the SD cards...it's not desirable during an event. But it's nearly impossible to replace batteries during an event because I'd have to disassemble the gimbals to get to the battery bays on the GoPro's. By hard wiring and using remote controls, I was trying to consume only the necessary resources without swapping SD cards during an event. And by adding streaming video, I also get access to the GoPro battery charging signals. So by doing this, I can charge the camera's while using them instead of using the batteries and replacing them during an event.

Hard wiring the camera's was another goal. Since race drivers often times have gloves and helmet's on (or just plain don't know how to use technology), I didn't want to burden the driver with operating the camera's. Drivers are so consumed with driving a race, that they might forget to switch on and record. So that's why I took the GoPro's apart and figured out how to hard wire the switches -- which could then be remote controlled.

Last edited by regular guy; 04-23-2014 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0