View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My car did/does not have EDC. The MCS double remotes made a big difference on my car. Biggest bang came from front bar which I think doesn't need to be as stiff on street tires based on my fiddling with my RDSport bar. From my driving of the EDC cars, they are going to have the same drawbacks as the non-EDC and probably don't have enough adjustment range to get there.

My 6mt no sunroof no nav E90 weighs about 475 lbs less than your M5 with me in it and similar fuel and can fit at least as much tire, with 1.4 degrees of front camber. If you are doing well in the M5 you will clean house in an M3. E92's are weighing in around another 40lb lighter. Btw might not be true for all e9x M3's but at least my car can run pretty much empty without fuel starving

Second everything CSBM5 said. Car to have is now ZCP due to wheel downsize rule, before it was probably a wash because the 18" tire was an advantage IMP. Also recommend a 6MT car for the additional approx. 46lb weight savings. One slightly faster 1-2 shift when you are already traction limited does not make up for half a hundred pounds in autocross. But at least the DCT wright is low and central so not a huge penalty.

I highly recommend calling MCS for dampers. In the alternative if you want my dampers and don't want to blow as much money we can probably work something out as I am no longer running in "Stock" so I have no real need for them other than they are awesome even for street use. The compression adjustment and extra sprig effect from jacking up the nitrogen pressure was well worth it. I do think the stock dampers are capable of winning but obviously much less tunable for surface conditions/weather, and you give up some effective spring rate without the N2 adjustment

With the FS index I was pretty tough to beat in my region. Top PAX at the "national tour" Gateway road tour against a few fast players, which was with the AS index before the car moved to FS. It's no doubt a very competitive car for the class and the car that finished 3rd last year was no fluke and was the first year the car had been campaigned. He's on this board maybe he will chime in. I have not driven the others in Street trim so no help there. Local STL hotshoe Chris Hammond campaigned a friend's 5.0 last year and ran it in RTR. Heads up on streets we only ran once as I was usually on Hoosiers, and it was in the wet, but I beat him and his codriver pretty handily that one time. I think he ended up top 5 in RTR at Nats. Not a brag just pointing out he cars are all right on top of each other. For instance the drivability of the M3 will pay dividends in less than ideal conditions

I've run the car on streets a few times and it is very good. No worries for turning into a smoke machine. All the drivability on Hoosiers carries over just fine to streets, just lower traction. Any differences in speed potential of the current front runners are in the noise of driver skill and consistency IMO, so the smart thing to do is choose the car you want and go from there. I would want the E9x because it's the best all-round car of the bunch

Hope that helps. TL;DR: buy now!