View Single Post
      01-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Long-term a 4 wheel BBK will significantly lower running costs.

Yes, the stock brakes can handle track days but they will eat up consumables. The worst part is running out of brakes and your weekend ending early - that wastes a lot of $$$.

I'll give you a real life example. 2011 M3 stock brakes at Road America. Buddy came up so it was running 8 sessions a day at Road America. First day and a half, smoked a set of pagid yellows. Threw on some Hawk DTC70s - finished the second day but barely. Overnighted a 3rd set of cool carbons (no idea which ones) - got 2 sessions out of the Hawks and then the cool carbons barely lasted to the end of the 3rd day.

3 sets of pads in essentially two weekends. I don't consider that reliable. And changing out hot brake pads at a hot track day gets old...really fast.
I think that's because he was running a lot of grip or else was just running the wrong pads. Cool carbon is not a track pad, DTC pads are ok for track but wear fast. No experience with Pagid. My front pads on stock calipers usually last 4 track days. Rear pads go 50% longer. This is during the summer when its over 100 degrees every day.

I've never had a mid track day pad change but then I never run back to back track days.