View Single Post
      02-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #44
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
My experience with pre-preg was that only the process is insanely easy to control and handle, but the direction and weave quality, now there's your real challenge. I love seeing a quality product and outcome and that they as leader have developed a system that works for them regarding fusing the cf parts together, precisely, to form more unique and complicated structures!

Pre-preg cf weave is your ordinary cf weave embedded with small thermoplastic fibres, so that when they are heated up and the mold pressurized, the melt is pressed in to the fibres. The goal is to reach 100%, or as close to, 'wetting' of the fibres.
The cf will obtain no strength without wetting from the resin. So correct process parameters, which varies from material thickness and type and pressure and time is parameters that needs investigation. No easy task nailing these proporties, as Vorsteiner def knows!

Great report and picture material!
You hit the nail on the head! Thanks for helping to clarify

When I was there I watched the employees painstakingly placing the carbon fiber in to the vents of that X6M hood, and I was surprised. My initial question was "isn't the vacuum bag going to suck it closer to the mould?" - but then I learned how incredibly difficult it is to make the weave look right in general, much less over such complicated angles and curves.

Really amazing stuff. I used to sometimes wish that we were on the manufacturing side of the business instead of the retail side because it's cool to see things come to life, and I enjoy designing parts and stuff.... but after my tour of Vorsteiner, I'm really really glad we get to talk about the quality instead of controlling it, haha!
Appreciate 0