07-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Can anyone recommend a cleaning regime to preserve the original Alcantara finish on the M Performance steering wheel?

I hate the shiny/polished look which can develop over time, and the bobbled look.

Don't want to have to wear gloves....

Sonax recently released an upholstery + Alcantara cleaner. I got it on Amazon.

Here's the way I have seen Chemical Guys & AMMO do it:

1. spray the cleaner onto a microfibre
2. firmly blot the suede -- don't rub it (you should see the dirt on the cloth)
3. blot dry with another microfibre
4. use a toothbrush or other nylon bristle brush to lightly brush the fibers upright

For more stubborn areas, you can use a horsehair brush with the cleaner and agitate it a bit, then blot dry. These are also available on Amazon for like $10.

I used this procedure on my new car's steering wheel, shift knob, and seat inserts -- worked like a charm. Avoid the urge to over-clean. You should only have to do it a few times a year unless your hands are always very dirty and grimy. The whole point of Alcantara is that it wears very well and does not need a ton of regular maintenance. I've had my car for 3 months and only done it once, and the microfibre barely even gets dirty.

The shiny/polished look only happens when people neglect the wheel and NEVER clean/brush it, or are constantly touching it with dirty hands. I would not worry about it.
SYT_Shadow11479.50